- 1 ready to use pizza crust
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (398ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Manba crunchy peanut butter
- 1 can (565g) young jackfruit in brine or water, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- Sautéed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out pizza dough into a circle with a diameter of about 30 centimeters. Bake for 10 minutes without garnishes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sautee for 5 minutes or until the onion has become translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, smoked paprika, tamari, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and Manba. Mix to incorporate. Lower to heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze out the excess liquid from the jackfruit pieces by pressing it into your hands. Remove any tough pieces.
- Use your hands to shred the jackfruit into pieces and add it to the simmering sauce. Mix until it is well coated.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Top with the jackfruit mixture, red onions, sautéed mushrooms, cheese and black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh coriander.
*Our favorite recipe for sautéed mushrooms : http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/sauteed-mushrooms-36550
**Make this recipe vegan by switching the swiss cheese with vegan cheese.
Recipe & photo by Murielle Banackissa